3. Mr. Russell's 1970s Abscam fictionalization 'American Hustle' had the better night overall, winning acting awards for Amy Adams and Jennifer Lawrence. Best picture was the only award for '12 Years a Slave,' which came in with seven nominations, tied for the most with 'American Hustle.'
4. But at the end of a madcap Golden Globes (Ms. Fey toasted it as 'the beautiful mess we hoped it would be'), the major honors soberly ended up with the favorites. David O. Russell's con-artist caper 'American Hustle' led with three awards, including best film comedy. And despite missing out in the other six categories it was nominated in, the unflinching historical drama '12 Years a Slave' concluded the night as best film drama.
5. CANCER: THE EMPEROR OF ALL MALADIES (PBS, March 30) Barak Goodman (“Scottsboro: An American Tragedy,” “My Lai”) is the director and Ken Burns is an executive producer of this six-hour series based on the Pulitzer Prize-winning book “The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer” by Dr. Siddhartha Mukherjee.
6. What would he try for his solo move: "Sweet Creature" and "Ever Since New York" are intimate acoustic ballads; while "Kiwi" lets him strut his Oasis-style self at top volume. "Two Ghosts" is a break-up lament .
6. "Moreover, most Chinese families only have one child, so many of us return to China because we want to stay close to our family and friends," said a student surnamed Su, who gave up his job in the UK and returned to take care of his mother in China.
2. When the federal government shuttered in October, Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500)CEO Howard Schultz refused to sit on the sidelines while businesses everywhere suffered. Instead, Schultz wrote a petition calling on his peers to rally together and put pressure on Congress to come to an agreement.
6. On Turkey, which recently shot down a Russian warplane, Putin said he sees no possibility of overcoming the strained ties with the current Turkish leadership. He said he was shocked to see that Turkey hadn't tried to explain its action but turned to help from NATO instead.
2. On our increasingly human-dominated planet we can still learn much from the lives of other species. The discovery this year that the Greenland shark lives for 400 years, making it the longest-living vertebrate, puts our hectic lives into perspective.
6. "All of these lists together speak a lot about 2010, and the revolutions in politics and technology of the year," Chan said.
2. At its own auction the following evening, Sotheby’s achieved a far more respectable total of 22.6 million with fees, although it was just above the low estimate of 21.8 million based on hammer prices. Of the 44 lots offered, 15 did not sell, or 34 percent.
3. The clothespin dates back to the 1800s, but in 2016 it became "smart." Meet Peggy, the laundry peg that's supposed to "help you lighten the load" by telling you when the washer cycle is over and if the weather is nice enough to hang your clothes outside. The device connects to your phones and sends you alerts when the weather changes or when you need to remove your clothes.