1. New year’s events can be anticlimactic. Not so in China where stock markets began 2016 with enough excitement to make traders choke on their bubbles: Shanghai stocks dropped 7 per cent on Monday, Shenzhen more than 8 per cent. It could have been worse. A new mechanism that suspends trading after a drop of 7 per cent halted play early — in this instance, by an hour and a half.
2. Best film and best director. Surprisingly, Nolan has never received a directing nomination from the Academy.
3. An investigation is continuing into how La La Land was wrongly named Best Picture rather than the triumphant Moonlight.
4. China has continued to synchronize enterprises and institutions to raise the basic pension for over 100m retirees in 2017.
5. Justin Bieb er just made tens of thousands of more dollars -- from his hair. The 'Baby' singer's locks sold on eBay yesterday with a final bid of $40,688.