1. As for the fortunes of the gig economy, the UK will be a key country to watch. The government is due to respond to an independent review into whether British law is keeping up with this new trend. Bold policy action — either in favour or against online labour platforms — now seems less likely given the fragility of the government and the time-consuming nature of Brexit.
2. Latest ECB projections predict the eurozone, which has struggled to grow as strongly as the US or UK, will grow 1.7 per cent in 2016 after hitting 1.5 per cent growth this year as QE bolsters the economy.
3. She said: 'On a scale of one to 10, I feel I'm at a nine because there's definitely room for improvement. I know I could go further.'
5. Extreme heat blanketed Alaska and much of the western United States last year. Records were set across large areas of every inhabited continent. And the ocean surface was unusually warm virtually everywhere except near Antarctica, the scientists said, providing the energy that fueled damaging Pacific storms.
1. Last year, Islamic State militants seized 49 Turkish hostages from Turkey's consulate in Mosul and held them for more than three months before releasing the group. Those hostages included diplomats, soldiers and children.
3. Verification and evaluation should be enhanced before publication, Wang said.
4. The film screens in China reached 41,179 as of the end of 2016 with another 1,612 cinemas and 9,552 film screens built during the year, according to a report by People's Daily.
4. “Brands that are known for going it alone are partnering with unexpected allies,” Gilbert says. “If you dig into Apple’s investment, the special projects team reads like a who’s who list of some of the best talent in the world coming from every sector imaginable.”
6. However, Baty said the stabilization of Chinese universities' rankings is no cause for alarm. "Continued investment built on decades of spending, and increased internationalization in Chinese higher education will no doubt ensure China's universities continue to strengthen," he said.
1. The Martian was named best comedy or musical motion picture.
The average value of the household appliance sector soared 74 percent, showing the biggest increase among top 10 sectors. E-commerce and retail followed, with their value up 69 percent. The medical health care sector climbed up 32 percent. The financial service sector increased 18 percent and the alcohol sector rose 17 percent. Real estate gained 15 percent and food and drinks were up 11 percent.